Friday, August 10, 2007

Random Friday Music with bonus Hardware failure

Crisis! maybe! soon! Looks Bad! What, pray tell, have you in mind, you ask? I mean - after 2 years of service, my iPod is Giving Up the Ghost. Showing signs at least, making unhappy faces and refusing the synch. Though a few well timed threats later... we shall see. Or - since this weekend is Tax Free weekend in the commonwealth, well - of course that gets me the same deal I'd get from Amazon, but hey...

Anyway, no reason not to put up a Friday shuffle post:

1. Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away (live, from How the West was Won) **** - what always surprises me about the zep is how tight and efficient they were, musically, at least when they were within some hailing distance of sober - other than some of their fake boogie woogie and Page's violin bow waking, there's surprisingly little waste on their music, even the jams. This song is pretty tight and to the point by any standards, of course, but still... other than Plant's bleating and their lyrics... which got better later, though byu that time, they coulnd't fit Bonzo in the studio, and Page couldn't support the weight of a guitar any more....
2. Muddy Waters - Tom Cat - from Electric Mud... Pete Cosey! Muddy does his part, and Cosey's sort of tacked on top of it - but I'll take it.... I better give this some stars too... *** I think.
3. Ruins - Black Sabbath Medley Reversible - I see this has not played on the computer since September 2005 - wild... that aside - this is extremely cool. At least iTunes is compensating me for my suffering....
4. Robert Johnson - I Believe I'll Dust My Broom - I guess so. Another record I have never bothered to rate - how do you choose among them? I have also found that Johnson and similar acoustic acts don't always sound all that good on the iPod - which is why it's nice to hear this one through the computer's speakers. Works better, on the whole. (The fact that I'm doing this in real time is tending to drive the format - lot more comments than usual. Metacomments! comments on the metacomments! The usual method is to play the iPod on the way home from work, and type in the last 10 to play....)
5. Audioslave - Exploder - hm. Another way to look at today's playlist is that it's going back 2 years, to when this iPod was new - Ruins, Zep, Audioslave, stuff I was listening to 2-3 years ago, more than now... Oh! There's Morello's solo - that's all you really need to listen to this stuff for.
6. Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - There She Goes my Beautiful World *** - Abattoir Blues had just come out about 2 years ago, I think...
7. The Stooges - Mexican Guy - *** the new record... "maybe I should listen to doctor Phil" - cheap and tinny sounding and a lot more catch than the bulk of the record. BUt even at this late date, there's a lot of life in the old fools. Though this one sure sounds like mid-90s butthole surfers....
8. Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue... what can you say? let's give this ****
9. Come - Sad Eyes... I saw them once; I saw Live Skull too, though I believe Thalia Zadek was almost too drunk to stand. A sour scene - technical troubles with the sound, delays, the band came had plenty of time to stew. The Come show I saw was one of the last concerts I went to before deciding it was a waste of time. Kind of too bad - the record is pretty good actually. They were opening for Buffalo Tom - who just put out a record. I am getting old.
10. The Soft Machine - Fire Engine Passing with Bells Clanging....
Bonus! for no good reason but I love the song (and I'm reading the latest Left Behind update from Slacktivist, while it plays): Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years *****, of course...

And video? because this is bloody amazing: Ruins Alone -Tatsuya Yoshida just tearing it up, all by himself...

No comments: