Saturday, August 18, 2007

Weekend Music Placeholder

Back again with another Friday random ten post, on Saturday as usual. I will spice this one with an extra random movie comment or two: like - is every summer this lousy a time for the movies? It's been weeks since there's been a new movie out I had to see (12:08 East of Bucharest, that would be) - nothing spectacular since Brand Upon the Brain, back in June, no thrilling foreign films tucked into the slow late summer months like The Death of Mr. Lazarescu last year, or 2046 and The World and The Beat that my Heart Skipped the year before that. (I mean - there's been Flandres, but really...) Even the quirky little indies have degenerated noticeably, from last year's Little Miss Sunshine and The Oh in Ohio, or the year before's Junebug and Me and You and Everyone We Know - I've been reduced to the likes of Rocket Science and am considering Death at A Funeral - yikes. Even the mainstream stuff seems small beer - Knocked Up was vastly overrated, which has dampened my enthusiam for Superbad, and nothing seems to promise the campy fun of Telledegha Nights or Snakes on a Plane. So - I dunno. Things do get substantially better next week, with the arrival of Election and Triad Election at the Brattle - and Teorema at the MFA. But tomorrow, I may have to sit home and watch Zodiac (which I skipped in the theater, but turns out to be a hell of a film - David Fincher isn't a hacque!) and Inland Empire again. I mean - I saw The Ten last week! I'm desperate!

Music, on the other hand - well - it's different. But the iPod seems to be fine (I think I forgot to turn it off and the battery drained), there's a new Linda Thompson record to listen to, and I can put Boris in heavy rotation and be happy. And now - ten songs - heavy on the Mojo compilations and the epic drudgery, it seems....

1. Charlie Parker - Bongo Beep
2. Stereolab - International Colouring Context
3. White Stripes - I fought Piranhas
4. The Alarm Clocks - No Reason to Complain
5. Lipps Inc. - Funkytown (Long Version) **** - that's not an honest rating. That might work for the single, but the long version well outstays its welcome. Camp does not suit itself to extended versions.
6. Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
7. Sunn0))) & Boris - Blood Swamp
8. Buffseeds - Sparkle Me - more Mojo, very forgettable, unlike the Alarm Clocks and Lloyd Price, who, mojo or not, are pretty good songs
9. Don Byron - Prologue: "...shed no tears before the rain" - from the Music of Mickey Katz album - 2 jazz songs in one week - very good.
10. Tom Waits - Cemetery Polka

Video? Along with all the film obituaries this month, we should take time for a musical passing: Tony Wilson, man of many parts. And so - here's Steve Coogan impersonating him and the almighty) in 24 Hour Party People:



And the man himself, interviewed, discussing Joy Division, and Manchester:



(Part 2):

No comments: