Tuesday, June 24, 2008

5 Musical Geniuses!

I don't have much to say - some quick links: Bizarro Days are upon us again, chez Piper. Great fun! Hijinks galore! I wish I could contribute, but I can never come up with anything appropriate for this kind of spoofery - so I'l leave it to the witty people. And - let's face facts: there are times - haven't we all felt? - when the endless irony and meta-meta-meta-metaness of the internet becomes so depressing - does anyone really need another snarky wiseass pretending to love Jean-Claude Van Damme in order to mock Jean Claude Van Damme? Pretending to pretend to hate Citizen Kane to prove they really love Citizen Kane so snobs won't laugh at them? No, that won't be me. Sincerity is my middle name.

So since I don't have any actual content, I think I will have recourse to that old standby, the Music Post. How about a list? Five Great Songs!

1. Creed - My Own Prison: who doesn't love Creed? speaking of sincerity - truly, has ever a pop star exuded more sincerity than Scott Stapp? Look at that hair! His hair alone is a higher being! Look at him grasp the microphone stand! what a man! what a star! he's created his own prison, you know. Irony is a prison! satire is a prison! snark is a prison! No more snark! Think back to the wonderful days of the late 90s when this might be heard on any radio station in the land! Ah - just thinking about how much we all miss Scott Stapp's hair makes me want to run to a Denny's for a grand slam.



2. Jewel - Foolish Games: better than Joni Mitchell, you know! and from one of the Great films of the 90s - so let us enjoy this fine piece of crooning, and not engage in the "foolish games" of making fun of such a talented artist. Or this high tech and oh so artistic video... these foolish games are tearing her apart!



3. Air Supply - I'm all Out of Love: sadly, embedding has been disabled on this fine piece - taking me back to my youth - many happy hours spent spinning the radio dial trying to find a station that wasn't playing this. Was - was playing this.... what are you thinking of?

4. For some things - words simply can't ...



5. I don't know what this fine song from those toweringly talented nu-metal geniuses, Linkin Park, is called - but I know, it's a worthy addition to this list: words are failing me again... god bless pro tools!



I think I may have caused myself permanent brain damage writing this post. Damn you Bizarro Piper!

8 comments:

Megan said...

Piper sucks and so does this post.

Bob Turnbull said...

How can I thank you for making me click on the "My Humps" video and getting to see and hear all that Fergie goodness? No, I insist. I feel I should share the feelings inside of me that have been inspired by even just a few seconds of that video.

I'll have to thank Piper too. Repeatedly.

weepingsam said...

You're welcome, Bob! And you'll be thanking me for days to come, when the song keeps replaying in your head, over and over and over and over again - whatcha gonna do with all that junk all that junk inside that truck? ima gonna get you get you drunk... ah.... art!

elgringo said...

I once put junk in my trunk...that was an expensive and equally embarrassing hospital visit.

Anonymous said...

I really hate this post because I don't know who any of these people are. Young folks, they don't know what really classic music is: Milli Vanilli, Bay City Rollers, Apollonia 6. Damn, those were the days.

weepingsam said...

Gee, I don't want to give the impression that Great Music only exists in the 1990s and 00's - why, here's a moving, beautiful, heartbreaking anti-war anthem from yesteryear.

And I defy any of you to keep a dry eye while listening to this sincere and artistic number from the glorious 70s.... "when I looked down my hands were red and these were the last words that she said..." - what a tune!

Anonymous said...

Man, I didn't think anyone could outdo Creed. I was wrong. The Black Eyed Peas did.


(By the way, loved this post.)

PIPER said...

Can you imagine writing the song "my humps" with a straight face? Come on.

But you took it too far with Creed. I once was walking the the boardwalk in Miami and there was a guy singing Creed out loud as he was walking. He stopped me and ask if I had some papers so he could roll his cigarette. It angered me because it stopped him from singing Creed. When you're singing Creed, don't let nothing stop you. Just keep singing it because it's so damn good.