Friday, April 18, 2008

Return of Random Friday Music!

Finding myself again with nothing ready to post - let's reach for an old stand by, the Random Ten... with some bonus record reviews! Though not very good record reviews since I've only listened to one or two of these CDs as a whole, the rest just popping up on the iPod now and again... what can you do. Lately I've cut back on my CD purchases: but mostly that means, no old CDs - I still buy a fair number of new ones... old favorites, the occasional experiment... It seems to me that I should comment on these records more, even if it's just a list of what I've bought... So - what do we have?

- Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull - is a fine piece, with Bill Frisell guesting on a couple numbers... I have been looking forward to this for a while, and it delivers...
- Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath - I have barely listened to this: oops.
- Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash - this either. And I meant to. Hmm.
- The Duke Spirit - Neptune - I downloaded a song somewhere, at someone's recommendation - (Where the Stress Falls) - I liked it enough to make an investment, though if you've read the last 2 notes, you can guess what the next line would be....
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig! - I m not sure if there is enough information on this blog for readers to guess which of these CDs I would have been absolutely certain to listen to: if there is, no one will be surprised this is it (and the Earth, of course.) I become more or a Nick Cave song every year. This one continues the direction of Grinderman - noisy, rockier, etc - nicely done...
- REM - Accelerate - buying records by old favorites is a risk, especially if they've faded from view a bit: sometimes you get something like the recent Mission of Burma CDs - great stuff, standing perfectly well on its own; sometimes you get something that makes you wish your heroes had taken their own advice and died before they got old.. Usually you get something with one or two good ideas and a bunch of competently executed mediocrity. I might be missing something, but so far this is #3. They seem to be working hard, but I've no incentive not to hit the forward button.
- Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely - Jack White seems to put put 6 records a year under 5 different names and fills them all with tunes and words and playing. I'll buy anything he does, at this point, and expect to be entertained...
The Kills - Midnight Boom - I haven't listened tot his all the way through yet, but have tried to sample it enough - it remains to be seen, I suppose, if it's as good s it gets or just really good.

And now - Commence Randomization!

1. Sleater Kinney - Little Babies ***** - that's a good start
2. Butthole Surfers - Waiting for Jimmy to Kick - one of those weird little oddities from Rembrandt Pussyhorse...
3. Hank Williams - Lost Highway - doesn't get much better than Hank
4. Son Volt - Underground Dream
5. CCR - Long as I can See the Light - that's a nice pairing, Jay Farrar and John Fogerty...
6. David Bowie - Always Crashing in the Same Car
7. Bill Frisell - Have a Little Faith in Me **** - this is hard to beat too - one of y favorite records of the 90s...
8. Red Krayola - The Red Krayola on Forty-five - Red Krayola/Mayo Thompson (and Frederick Barthelme!) - one of the best kept secrets in rock...
9. Sufjan Stevens - The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us
10. Faust - The Sad Skinhead

And for video? Well - here's some Red Krayola:



And - some vintage Sleater Knney:

No comments: