Friday, July 09, 2010

Summer Friday Interlude

Waiting for the end of the World Cup - should be a good game - the one I wanted to see, Holland and Spain. Crown a new champion! Sneijder vs. Xavi! Relive the wars of the 16th and 17th centuries! Rembrandt and Vermeer vs. Goya and Velazquez! (Van Gogh vs. Picasso for the more modernist minded.) (That's a hell of a lineup there - pound for pound, it's hard to beat the Dutch at painting, though when all is said and done, Velazquez and Picasso might be the Xavi and Iniesta of... um... there's a metaphor there...) Right. I'll root for the Dutch, but have no complaints should Spain win. There's not much to pick between them - Spain seems to have a better team, and the ability to simply take complete control of every game; Holland has a defense built to disrupt teams like Spain's (those tough tackling midfielders), and, seemingly, better finishers up front. Should be good...

Once the world cup is done - I may get back to seeing films. I did see a couple last week, I Am Love and Cyrus - I might even get around to reviewing them... This week, the rereleased Breathless plays, and that's always a must see...

And - I should note - one more week in Lucas McNelly's Kickstarter Campaign. Anyone who can make a movie out of a $4G grubstake probably deserves a shot at it...

Finally? Been too damn hot the last week or so, and I have not been getting my beauty sleep. I am cranky and full of sloth. So here are the Kinks singing about summer in the snow:

No comments: