Friday, August 06, 2010

Some Blogathon Notes

I haven't kept up my ongoing blogathon page for the last year - partly because it seems to be a trend that has passed. They are few and far between these days. But they still come up, and can provide a good deal of focused reading, as well as new links - so - Ivan G. Shrive's offered up a couple links, that I will more or less shamefully repeat...

There's a John Huston blogathon going on now at Icebox Movies - a blog I don't think I came across before. So this one has borne fruit already! Though like everything on the internet, you usually find out it's been done before - though I don't see any evidence anyone but me knew that blogathon existed.... Huston is a very interesting figure, so there should be plenty to chew on...

UPDATE: Let me add the roundup links, since this is well under way: Day 1... Day 2.... Day 3... Day 4... Day 5....

Ivan also mentions a Summer Movie Blogathon at another blog I'd never heard of, Silents and Talkies. This one takes place on August 16-18.

Finally - also in Ivan's post, though I knew about this one already, Tony Dayoub is hosting a David Cronenberg blogathon the second week of September - 6-12. Cronenberg, I fear, is not quite my cup of tea - though that shouldn't be an impediment to enjoying this blogathon, since part of my problem is that I find him more interesting to read about than watch. So that should work out!

2 comments:

Adam Zanzie said...

Didn't the Sophmore Critic's Huston blogathon from back in 2007 get deleted, though? The only thing that seems to remain from that old blogathon is a single piece on Prizzi's Honor over at Edward Copeland on Film, and that's it. There's barely even any discussion on that piece in particular.

I guess that's partially why I thought it appropriate to start up one myself; the old blogathon seems to have been wiped off the face of the Internet, and there hadn't been any discussion on Huston's work for God knows how long!

weepingsam said...

That about sums it up - I can't find any other evidence of the 07 blogathon (though I thought I remembered reading a couple other pieces back then) - it was a good idea then, and it's a good idea now. He's sort of a problem - taken a bit for granted, never quite making it into the pantheons, but giving critics plenty to chew on, if only they'd take a bite... so it's very gratifying to see it taking off this time...