Friday, March 18, 2011

Random Friday Music Post

Welcome to another Friday. Today I think I will revert to randomness -though one of these weeks I want to put up something on some of the new records I have gotten this year. For some reason, a host of bands I like have released records in early 2011 - I believe I have 10 new CDs since the beginning of the year, which given my diminished music buying is rather impressive. Good stuff too - Decembrists, Gang of Four, PJ Harvey - I'll try to run up a post before too long.

Meanwhile, I managed to get through Evacuation Day without posting anything by the Pogues - the last couple years, I have done that more at Facebook, but I even managed to avoid it there. I have also been haunted all week by the Blue Oyster Cult - "history shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men" - funny how stoner rock stars and monster movie filmmakers have a better grasp of how the world works than politicians and businessmen. I'm not alone in noticing this of course - Andrew O'Hehir had a piece in Salon about Japanese apocalyptic films - they have a strong track record of finding striking images of disaster, that illuminate as well as terrify. History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men.... framing these images as something that seems less that serious just confuses people - the original films are derived pretty directly from real, horrifying events - and the BOC may kid, but they know what is going on:



But enough of that... today, let's stick to iTunes shuffle:

1. Xiu Xiu - Sad Pony Guerilla Girl
2. Mars Volta - Son et Lumiere
3. Decembrists - Summersong
4. Elton John - Bitter Fingers
5. James Brown - It's a Man's Man's Man's World
6. Public Enemy - Hannibal Lecture
7. Pavement - Type Slowly
8. Neutral Milk Hotel - Avery Island - April 1st
9. Ruins - Muoljimbog
10. Boogie Down Productions - Breath Control

For video - a nice long stretch of The Ruins:

No comments: