Friday, January 19, 2007

Music Return!

Been a while since I've managed a Friday Random Ten. I'm thinking, with the new year and all, I have to find a new Friday music schtick - the random ten is getting a bit bland. But I don't have anything yet. So - here you go. To make up for skipping a couple weeks, this will be a Friday random commute list: 15 songs long!

1. Joy Division - Glass
2. Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything (Why do I want to buy a minivan?)
3. Billie Holiday & Lester Young - She's Funny That Way
4. Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back
5. The Hives - Declare Guerre Nucleaire (do it again in 2010!)
6. The Velvet Underground - I'm Beginning to See the Light (live)
7. Bad Brains - How Low Can a Punk Get
8. Modest Mouse - Different City
9. REM - Good Advices (if you greet a stranger look at his shoes)
10. Spiritualized - Electricity (you know, with all the talk about contemplative cinema,it's a shame a bit more challenging [call it] music couldn't come up. All that Bela Tarr? ought to call forth, somehow, from the depths of the iPod's mystical empathy with its owner, some Earth or SunnO))), something drony and morose... You would think, wouldn't you? and failing that - something drony and, say, not morose - maybe live Spaceman Three; maybe the Warlocks; maybe Can. That's the music I associate, in my head, with long slow slightly mystical films, especially the dreamier ones [Tarr - that's Earth: I've seen pictures of Dylan Carlson - he looks like he stepped out of one of Tarr's pubs!] - but other than the musical pieces of Last Days, who puts that kind of music in their contemplative films? Well - Warhol and Morrissey sometimes, but... actually - Philippe Garrel, right? Nico; Euro-hippy drones... I think seeing Le Lit de le Vierge [not easy to do: I don't know how often it's played anywhere - not much; thank you afain, Harvard Film Archive!] spoiled me, especially for long, trancy films - I expect the music to match the film - I expect, I don't know - Godspeed You Black Emperor or something...)
11. Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together
12. Rolling Stones - You Gott Move (what's this? back to back? though I have a lot of Stones on here; this isn't that big a surprise)
13. Alabama 3 and Gary Lucas - Woke Up This Morning (no idea where this came from, but it sure is cool)
14. The Who - Endless Wire (one of the few songs on thge new record that isn't awful. Not bad, really. Not great. Why can't we get I Can See for Miles or something?)
15. Brian Jonestown Massacre - In India You

So, speaking of contemplative cinema, music - here's a clip from Philippe Garrel:

No comments: