Saturday, February 10, 2007

Friday Random Ten on Saturday

My Friday ritual is increasingly turning into a Saturday post. Though most of the responsibility for that lies with Jacques Rivette. (Four more films to go, for those of you in the Boston area.) Not that anyone is holding their breath waiting to see what iTunes coughs up this week...

1. Benny Goodman - Gone with "What" Wind - from the Charlie Christian record
2. High Rise - Pop Sicle (live) - **** - 11 minutes of shameless sludgy guitar wankery - just my kind of thing, as the rating attests
3. Outkast (Big Boi) - In Your Dreams - Idlewild - reminds me I have to get the movie...
4. Charlie Parker - Stupendous - nice day for the jazz. My jazz CDs are woefully under-represented on the iPod: I've gone years listening to almost nothing but jazz, buying almost nothing but jazz - but haven't loaded much of it in the computer. It never really works on the iPod, too much of the subtlety of acoustic instruments gets washed out, I don't know if it's the compression of the music, the quality of the player or headphones, or just the fact that I listen to the iPod in public, noisy places, like the train. Whatever it is - it's never satisfying. So - other than Parker and some Coltrane, and a good deal of fusion (which, being electric, works better - so I have Miles and Mahavishnu Orchestra and the like, and they sound fine...), most of my jazz is still offline.
5. Robert Wyatt - Insensatez
6. Diane CLuck - All I Bring you is Love - from one of those Mojo collections, this one devoted to English folk... nice enough, I guess.
7. Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple - **** - all your sanity and wits they will all vanish, I promise, it's just a matter of time. Indeed.
8. Fleetwood Mac - Coming Your Way (live from the Boston Tea Party) - I'm sure anyone who has actually read these posts over the years, or knows me from elsewhere, has gathered that I like my guitar solos.... I've dropped hints through the years, I think, of my favorites in the art, though not very systematically (though there was that list I posted after Johnny Ramone died). Though linking to that is a kind of mea culpa - what the hell possessed me? My 10 favorite guitar players - with no Peter Green? The plain truth is, other than Richard Thompson, he is probably my favorite: others (Hendrix at least) might be better - but Hendrix is so good he intimidates me - it's hard to connect with his music personally sometimes.... But Peter Green: shoot.... Anyway - this is just another jam, but features some nice work by the band. They were the real deal, when Green was on board....
9. Mockers - God Only Knows - more Mojo, this one from the recent Brian Wilson tribute set.
10. John Lennon - Isolation - nice track from what I think is the third best ex-Beatles record. (What are 1 and 2?) Well - All Things Must Pass really is the best, I think.... #2 is from that other somewhat overlooked Beatle collaborator, backed by John and Ringo at their rockingest - Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band record. Why not?

Video? Well - look what I found when I started looking for High Rise video - Jean-Claude Van Damme! that was easy!

No comments: