Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Production Design Blogathon

...is upon us, at Jeremy Bushnell's Too Many Projects Film Club.

I don't know how much I can contribute to this - other than admiring the work done by production designers, I don't know enough to say much. I tend to subsume their work into the general design of the film, the cinematography and mise-en-scene, the use of space in the broader sense. But that is central to the art of film, and production design is where it starts...

But for now - whether I have anything to say or not, I can post some pictures. Starting with a few screen captures from the most eye-popping films I've seen in a while, Princess Raccoon. (You will probably want to click on these, to get something like a real idea of what they look like).







As those shots show - it's a very stagy film. Frontal, artificial, performative, all the way through. Moving back and forth between opulence and sparseness, but always pushing the design forward, emphasizing the flatness, the sense of the world as a screen:



- the screen as a surface, on which to trace shapes and patterns:



- so that even the simplest, starkest shots can be just as extravagant as the full set pieces:



Though the full set pieces are pretty spectacular:

3 comments:

Bob Turnbull said...

I'm so glad to see someone else who appreciates the visuals of this film. I wrote about it last year and had to control myself from putting more screenshots in than I did (and I still put in like 20).

weepingsam said...

I wish I'd taken more screen grabs than I did. There's almost not a shot in the film that isn't somehow thrilling.

RC said...

wow, those are some very unique screenshots indeed!