Thursday, October 09, 2008

John Lennon

It's John Lennon's birthday, isn't it? There's a post at Lawyers, Guns and Money n his honor with people listing their favorite Lennon songs in comments.. I'll play along:

1. Norwegian Wood
2. Working Class Hero
3. Tomorrow Never Knows
4. In My Life
5. She Said She Said

And A Day in the Life, though that's only half John.... Anyway - I was always a Lennon fan: and even now, if I put together a Beatles top 10, top 20, it's be mostly John's songs. Maybe a bit skewed by what I actually have on the iPod - I don't think I have a copy of Hey Jude - or Strawberry Fields Forever - or If I Needed Someone - or Yesterday, for that matter. So who knows.

I don't have much of John's post-Beatles work either - or the others' either. Ram, All Things Must Pass and the Plastic Ono Band - which I think fairly accurately reflects my opinion if their collective post-Beatles' career - the essential records, and a bunch of other stuff... John probably managed the best body of work, a couple fairly classic records (I suppose I do need to get Imagine, don't I?), reasonable work elsewhere. McCartney made some good singles over the years, but very little I can't live without... Harrison - I'm not sure I quite agree with the idea that All Things Must Pass is the best post-Beatles record, but it's in the top 3. (I'm cheating a bit - counting a wild card: Yoko's Plastic Ono Band album - which is half Beatles - and some of the best rocking any of them did...) Anyway: YouTube requites we post video here - what can I find?

Well - here's a couple more songs that could make my top 5 - Come Together, Live:



And a Revolution promo:



And one of y favorite Lennons: Cold Turkey, live footage, studio sound...

No comments: