Monday, October 27, 2008

A Week Later

I see the Phillies are well on the way to winning the world series. Behind one of the mainstays of my fantasy team, Mr. Cole Hamels. I could have told you he was the real deal. Though now I see it's tied and raining - happily, with the red sox home, I don't have to care!

I have not been in mourning this last week. I have been occupied, mostly here - Harvard is running a series of Minnelli's melodramas. It is confession time: before this series started, I had never seen a single film by Vincente Minnelli. I don't know how I managed it - even granting that I am not a huge fan of MGM musicals, it is hard to believe I have seen none of his. But those days are over, 6 films later, with more to come. It's interesting - it took seeing a couple to get in their rhythm - it's always interesting how films, and filmmakers, will teach you how to watch their films. It may also be that the films have gotten better as the series went on - certainly, a couple of them - Some Came Running and Home from the Hill, especially - are a cut above the rest, indisputable masterpieces. I'll have to come back, put up some thoughts when they're better formed. Though I doubt my filmgoing schedule will get much lighter next week - Harvard has Claire Denis' films - and Denis herself - starting this weekend...

No comments: