Friday, October 17, 2008

Sport!

Well, now. I went to bed last night thinking I'd be writing this morning about the Rays surprising demolition of the Red Sox. Getting ready to say, I'm not surprised they won - just surprised they did it so easily. Surprised mostly they did it to Jon Lester. The rest of the pitching is a little too wobbly this year - if Beckett were healthy, if I thought I could guess what Matsuzaka would do in any given game, it would be different, but....

I see that once again I was premature. This is a reason I don't watch every minute of every post-season game - I can't go a month without sleep. And I wouldn't have been sleeping if I'd watched that.... So what now? 2 more games to go... sooner or later someone is going to be able to beat the Red Sox in a season ending game - Tampa's got as good chance as anyone. But really... this is just ridiculous.

Anyway: I am glad to see the series extended. Even if Tampa wins, it means they will be better prepared for the Phillies. Young teams can't afford time off before the world series - that is my theory. And though I won't mind a Philly win, I hope the AL winner takes it, even if it isn't the Red Sox. And it's good, in general, to see some competition - the last couple years have been terribly one-sided. One of these years, someone should try a 7 game world series again...

Though the truth is - I can't say I'm exactly surprised the Sox staged an 8 run comeback last night. Until someone eliminates them, I guess they have to stay the favorites. They certainly keep playing until the champagne corks pop.

1 comment:

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...

To be honest, I forgot the game was on. The headline on the local 11 PM news was "Well, it looks like the Red Sox season is over, they are down 7-0 in the 7th".

I flipped over to the game, and saw it was the same score.

I went to bed, but waking up and seeing what happened, I wished I had watched.