Sunday, January 17, 2010

Old Films, Newly Viewed

I'm killing some time here, monkeying around with exporting video on my other computer - so I think I will post another list. This is inspired by Joseph B. - who just posted his best five non-2009 movies seen in 2009. Sounds like a plan! I go to a lot of old films, at Harvard and the Brattle especially, and even now surprise myself with number of films I've never seen... Anyway - I think I will divide this list into three parts, since so much of my viewing was for the two German cinyema classes I took...

For Class:

1. Mabuse the Gambler - probably no surprise there...
2. Testament of Dr. Mabuse



3. Romance in a Minor Key - 1943 melodrama made in Nazi Germany, but almost completely outside the system of the time...
4. Student of Prague
5. Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

DVD:

1. Hands Over the City - thanks to the Film of the Month Club, a neat idea that seems to have faded away, as so many neat internet ideas do...
2. Arigato San - Shimizu
3. Wild and Wooly - Douglas Fairbanks out west...



4. An American in Paris...
5. Three Penny Opera - German film not covered by the class...

Screen:

1. Eros + Massacre - Kuji Yoshida
2. Blue Collar - Paul Schrader's best film
3. Land of Silence and Darkness - Herzog
4. The Wild Child - Truffaut
5. Bigger than Life - Ray

No comments: