Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rohmer, Haiti

It's hard to even wrap my mind around the disaster in Haiti - the death toll, the devastation - in a place that has more than its share of suffering. It hits rather close to home - my brother was planning a trip down there later this month, a volunteer work trip... Not sure what will happen now - this certainly gives it added urgency, if they can still make it. Time to hit head for the Red Cross site, I guess...

And - it's been a couple days, and I might be the last film blogger to make a public note of Eric Rohmer's passing, but I have thought of a couple things to say. First, if I'm remembering right, wasn't the last line in his last film, "Live! I command you!" ? - I like that; I hope it's true. In any case - he was one of the giants of film - I haven't seen nearly enough of his films as I should, just enough to know that he was one of the greats, and that sooner or later I need to spend a sustained amount of time on him. This year, I've been watching Fritz Lang films whenever I can - one of these years, I will have to take on Rohmer...

Thinking about him, and his place in history, it is impressive how many of the French New Wave directors are still alive, and active - Rohmer lived to 89, and remained active until a year or two ago; Godard and Rivette are still making films; Resnais, Varda, Chabrol, Marker are all active, still making films that are among the best of the year. The new Rivette and Resnais, in particular, are highly praised - I hope they get here soon... They were a remarkable generation - revolutionary, brilliant, and so many of them able to sustain their creativity and productivity well past the immediate flush of the movement.

No comments: