Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday Random Music

It's an exciting weekend of course, a day or two away from the happiest day of the year, that sign that all is well with the world. Before that fateful moment, only 2 days away! I shall try to put up some kind of preview, prediction or the like - which, after last year's playoff predictions (a perfect 0-8!) ought to be greeted with, um - something... I must also admit that I am working up to a pile of list posts: I don't obsess over ranking movies like I have in the past, but I sort of want to put something up, go on record, as it were. Kind of a reference thing... In honor of the end of the first quarter of 2007, I suppose you'd day.... But tonight - you'll have to settle for music. The usual - iTunes up, random, 10 songs, stars, comments, whatever comes to mind...

1. Yo La Tengo - Blue Line Swinger *** - I do like Yo La Tengo....
2. Beck - Nicotine and Gravy **** - she looks so Israeli...
3. Gomez - How We Operate *** - nice song, but I didn't like this record as much as the previous one, Split the Difference I guess that one was - that was a great record... this one is just okay...
4. Sunny Day Real Estate - Song About an Angel - I suspect I should feel guilty about liking them, and other Jeremy Enegk records - and when they get mewling away, well - it's easy to wonder what the appeal is.... this one is a bit more mewl than not.
5. Jay Farrar - Cahokian (live) - I've hinted at this before, but I really do like Jay Farrar - he slides around, just under my attention a lot of the time, but every time I hear him, I remember how good he is, how consistent, how enjoyable. I sometimes need to be reminded, which is one of the reasons I like the iPod so much - most of the acts I have on there come up sooner or later - every time I hear one of his, I push a couple songs onto the narrower playlists. This one is likely to get a few stars before I'm done listening to it today.
6. Flipper - Sex Bomb - another great record, though this is a very silly song....
7. Pere Ubu - My Boyfriend's Back - an odd little number from that newest record.
8. Gomez - Nothing is Wrong (live) **** - hey! ask and you shall receive! The studio version, actually, gets 5 stars - but this is very nice. One of a bunch of songs on that record I really like.
9. Replacements - Dose of Thunder - at their crappiest sub-Kiss scroungy worst; which is to say, hell of a song. In it's shitty (shitfaced) way.
10. DNA - Blonde Red Head **** - probably the best of the Pere Ubu offshoots. What you say? yeah - Tim Wright - yeah... anyway, very cool...

As for video - YouTube has been acting up, in Camino at least - I don't know if it's just me, or YouTube or Camino... anyway, hope this works: who or what shall we post? Gomez makes sense - there are a dozen versions of this song on YouTube, but this one stands out - neat arrangement, noice sound, even if it does eliminate their most interesting aspect, the percussion...

No comments: