Saturday, March 24, 2007

Musical Lotteryish Post

I have to do some writing - I have been in a funk since the end of that Rivette series... oh well. For now, we'll have to make do with another music post... randomness! ratings when I've entered them! comments if I think of any! etc.! Huzzah!

1. Bad Brains - Sailin' On [not particularly sure why this isn't rated]
2. Of Montreal - The Party's Crashing Us
3. Prince - Uptown or this]
4. The Byrds - CTA-102
5. REM - Everybody Hurts **** - the last REM record I cared about; the first one I'd cared about in a couple when it came out. Then for a long while, I've sort of ignored it - though the songs are quite good, when you hear them after a gap, like this
6. John Cale - Bamboo Floor
7. Mercury Rev - Hudson Lines ***
8. Monk - Nice work if you can get it (trio version) - **** - a somewhat arbitrary rating. Everything on that Genius of Modern Music compilation is basically something I would want to hear any time it came on - which is sort of my definition of 4-5 stars. And this is one of my favorite cuts...
9. Big Country - Look Away - they seem to turn up on random a lot. I onl;y have one record, a greatest hits... I'm not complaining - they were a very nice, rather underrated band.
10. Journey - Wheel in the Sky (live) - sweet Jesus. How did this get on here? actually, it's not half bad - this song at least they play live like they mean it - by this stage in their career, their records were getting squishy - but this version has some kick. I don't know why they can't always sound like this - this is what power pop should sound like. The records - are slop.

Video: let's see - maybe something that came up after the random 10 ended? In fact, yeah - this came up a bit later: so let's put it up: Massive Attack, Karmacoma - a cool video, but not quite up to Wong Kar-wei and Leon Lai...

No comments: