Monday, February 15, 2010

Losing the Knack

Via the Britannica blog, I see that Doug Fieger, lead singer for the Knack, has died. Sometimes someone will write just one thing that works beyond what you'd think possible. They surrounded the hit with a bunch of really catchy songs that were probably catchier the first time you heard them, as Beatles or Stones or Kinks songs - but My Sharona was the real deal. It obliterated the charts for a reason, for all the right reasons.... I think I may also be one of about 3 people in the world who have heard the Knack's third album in its entirety - a friend of mine actually bought it when it came out, and we listened to it in the abandoned radio station at college (since neither of us actually owned a turntable). I even think I may have liked it.

No comments: