Friday, March 16, 2007

Music on Friday Even

Oh the weather outside if frightful, but iTunes is so delightful; no particular place to go - let it snow let it snow let it snow. Of course the biggest snowstorm of the year comes in March, what do you expect when it's 70 degrees and sunny in January?

Onwards then, with comments and whatever I can think of to turn this post into something more than a dry recitation of 10 song titles and a pirated tv clip....

1. Allman Brothers - Stand Back - this is, I'm afraid, almost complete wallpaper music...
2. Jay Farrar - Feel Free (live version) - I like Jay Farrar. I may have noted this on this blog before, though I'm not sure - but I've always liked Son Volt/Farrar more than Wilco - I like Wilco, but... that's actually a little less true these days - Nils Cline gives them a definite leg up... either way, Uncle Tupelo was a hell of a band, yes they were, and both alumni have put out some very fine music...
3. George Harrison - Hear Me Lord - uncle tupelo is not the first band to spawn a variety of fine acts of course....
4. Tommy Keene - Tattoo - from a Mojo collection, this one "Who Covered"
5. Richard Thompson - Night Comes in - ***** - the live version from Guitar, Vocal. As they say in those blindfold tests in Downbeat - a million stars. Or Carl Saganishly: billions and billions of stars... I spent about a year listening to this song every night before I went to bed back in the 90s.... it's not, by the way, my favorite Thompson performance, either....
6. Nine Inch Nails - Heresy - more wallpaper.
7. New Order - Temptation - **** - let the rating speak for itself...
8. Captain Beefheart - Nowadays a Woman's Got to Hit a Man - "dawned on me man, than a man been doing a woman unfair"
9. Kinks - Supersonic Rocket Ship
10. Bob Dylan - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts - no rating? well - see, ratings are there to pull songs out on playlists. 5 stars means, really - I will listen to this song to the end every time it comes on. 4 means it is a song I want to hear a lot, and love, though perhaps not in every temper. 3? means I want to hear it more often than purely random. Leaving whole swarms of stuff - especially by the old standbys (Dylan and the Kinks definitely falling into the category) - unrated, just because I have so much of it, or have heard it so much. Anyyay - all of Blood on the Tracks should be 3 stars at least, but, you know...

Video! Searching for Richard Thompson is a good way to sink a couple hours in a hurry... there's much to choose from (though mpost of it later than the song above), but this - an 80s performance of Fairport Convention with Thompson - has to settle the issue:

2 comments:

Michael E. Kerpan Jr. said...

Friday was a pain -- we had planned to go see Ann Hui's new "My Post-Modern Aunt's Life" at the HFA (only one showing, alas) -- but just didn't feel like braving the weather traveling from Roslindale to Cambridge and back. So we watched the Jacob Cheung's passably decent "Battle of Wits" on DVD at home.

weepingsam said...

The weather Friday was quite rotten - I was in no mood to be outside... I almost completely forgot about the Ann Hui films - I was in Harvard Square Saturday and happened to swing by the HFA to get the new schedule and remembered them. Saw July Rhapsody, a nice little melodrama - Anita Mui's last film... rather poignant for that....