Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saturday Stuff

So - Piper at Lazy Eye Theater named me for the 8 Things meme a couple days ago. I find myself, alas, strapped for time. So shall I cheat? 8 reasons why I'm strapped for time? combine, say, our generic round up/random music post with this meme? ha ha ha! sinister laughter!

1. I have Red Sox tickets for tonight. Take that!

2. Given some time to think about it - I really jumped the gun opining on the Celtics' Ray Allen trade. Once I noticed that he had surgery on both ankles - I should never have doubted Danny Ainge. Of course he would find a way to do something Royally Stupid with that pick. (Thinking about it now - what he should have done is trade up to three for Horford - if the Hawks were really hesitating between Horford and Yi, Ainge should have sweetened the Yi side fo the deal to get Horford. Horford would be an immediate asset to the Celtics, I think. Unlike Yi. And without the risk of Complete Disaster that hangs around Ray Allen. Though without the potential entertainment of seeing Ray Allen and Allen Ray on the floor at the same time. How one hopes!) - I notice that this hasn't really been a fact: maybe the relevant fact is, I haven't seen the C's live in more than a decade and don't expect that to change any time soon.

3. Here is a fact - as of Wednesday, I have seen every Ozu film in existence. I would have done this a couple years ago, when Harvard hosted a complete retrospective - but End of Summer was cancelled. Well - thank you, Eclipse!

4. Last night I saw Brand Upon the Brain - it was all one could hope for! The Past! The Past! Secrets! Secrets! Secrets! Too much for Guy!

5. Maybe I should do something in the spirit of the meme - I once saw Roger Ebert shoppping for Love and Rockets comic books! I hid under a desk when Bill Buckner made his famous error in 1986! Iwalked out before Nirvana came on at a club in 1991, because the sound system was terrible, and I'd already seen the band I wanted to see (Smashing Pumpkins!) I've never smoked anything of any kind in my life!

6. I have recurring dreams about finding stashes of pop culture in old stores, libraries, basements and attics - sometimes music (stashes of Bowie records in an old hope chest), usually Hardy Boys books. When I have these dreams I always recognize them as dreams, and start to wake up, disappointed that the stuff doesn't exist - then, on examining it closer, realize, it does exist! I'm not dreaming! The best thing I ever found in one of these dreams was a recording of the Hardy Boys adventure Jack Keruoac wrote and performed for radio in the mid-50s. I just hope Borges was right.

7. The last 10 songs to play on iTunes!

1. Richard & Linda Thompson - For Shame of Doing Wrong *****
2. Dangerdoom - Vats of Urine [good lord.]
3. Johnny Cash (with June Carter Cash) - Give My Love to Rose - from Live at Folsom Prison. More husband and wife singing...
4. Captain Beefheart - Veteran's Day Poppy ***
5. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue *****
6. Sonic Youth - What a Waste
7. The White Stripes - Conquest - that didn't take long to turn up here...
8. Asian Dub Foundation - Charge
9. Jacques Brel - Marieke
10. G.O.N.G. - Dynamite: I am your Animal

8. A video: you could follow a link, to see some live G.O.N.G. - but here, let's try Asian Dub Foundation - Naxalite, live.

3 comments:

Michael E. Kerpan Jr. said...

So -- you've seen "Tokkan kozo", "Fighting Friends, Japanese Style" and "Kagamijishi". If so, you truly are Ozu-complete. (Unless something lost is found).

I thought I was down to only one more Mizoguchi to see -- but they have recently found fragments to some early film, I believe.

I have a bit over a dozen Naruse films to track down -- but one (Shanghai Moon) seems to have been quarantined by Toho.

I just got the Late Ozu set -- but also got copies of some rare Ichikawa and rarer Imai films -- so these will probably get precedence.

Happy 4th holiday!

weepingsam said...

I have seen Tokkan Kozo - I've heard about Kagamijishi, though wasn't sure if it actually still exists or not. And - I don't think Fighting Friends... made it to Harvard, back in 04. Unless it showed under a different name. Still... I'll be waiting for your posts on the Ichikawa and Imai films!

Michael E. Kerpan Jr. said...

If you are still in the Boston area, perhaps a special screening can be arranged to ensure that you are a genuine Ozu completist. ;~}

In addition to MY collection (usubbed), the Harvard Film Archives (or maybe one of the Harvard libraries now) has a copy of all four (unsubbed) Shochiku DVD box sets. (These films are both extras in set four, as I recall).

The Imai and Ichikawa screen shots are done -- but I still need to finish the (less important) written part.