Saturday, June 16, 2007

Musical Interlude

And again, a weekend, and time for some music. Fire up iTunes and see what comes out...

1. The Velvet Underground - Some Kinda Love **** - as a song, as good as it gets - as a performance (this is straight off Velvet Underground), also superb, but there are various live versions that are better: since stars are for sorting... I feel like I need to explain why I would list a song like this at less than the highest possible level
2. Warlocks - Bleed With Out You Babe - Lou's legacy lives on
3. Marvin Gaye - Ain't that Peculiar
4. Beastie Boys - High Plains Drifter ***
5. Kevin Drumm - Samson's Cold Minotaurs -
6. Pere Ubu - Humor Me **** - see remarks re Some Kinda Love...
7. Sonic Youth - Unmade Bed
8. Richard Thompson - I'll Never Give Up - from his new record; I suspect a political meaning, though I have not parsed the lyrics yet.
9. Pere Ubu - Life of Riley (Live, from Apocalypse Now) ****
10. Edith Piaf - Polichinelle

Video: none of the songs above, but here are a couple of the acts, performing on David Sanborn's Nightmusic show. Richard Thompson, trading leads with Hiram Bullock:



and Cloudland era Pere Ubu:

No comments: