Saturday, January 12, 2008

Vampira

I see the news is going around that Vampira, the great horror movie hostess and sometimes star, has died, ae 86. Nice tributes are starting to appear, not all from the film blogging world - this one from PZ Myers at Pharyngula is where I first saw the news. One notices such things - an iconic figure who played a part in an iconic film... I can't say I paid much attention to her otherwise, until I started seeing the tributes to Plan 9 and Ed Wood - where she was invariably the most charismatic and interesting figure to be seen. May she rest in peace...

2 comments:

RC said...

i hadn't heard of her until you posted here, it's intersting to see what people, roles, performances people gravitate too.

weepingsam said...

well, like most people I imagine, I know of her through Ed Wood, and Plan 9 From Outer Space - though behind that is a whole world of old horror movie hosts on TV - Vampira and Ghoulardi and the like - a fascinating world that's mostly lost.... In those Ed Wood documentaries, though, she really shines...