Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Baseball League Championships

There may be some politics going on somewhere tonight, but never mind that. Vote Obama! what more is there to say about it?

Baseball though - there's always something to say about that! The first round of playoffs are done - I got 3 of 4 right! I don't know what possessed me to pick the Cubs over the Dodgers - at least I waffled on it.

Now? I'll stick with Boston in the AL - not just for the rooting interest. They've been here, they've done it, they'll keep their heads. The series with the Angels was the only competitive series in the first round - 3 of the 4 games decided in the last inning - the Red Sox are the toughest team going. But - Tampa has the deepest pitching staff, they can run and catch the all, and they have enough offense to make things tough - and they play in a weird and dangerous ballpark that they seem to get. That got the Twins to two championships. Either way, I would expect this series to be a fight to the finish.

Phillies and Dodgers, I have no idea. Dodgers are hot - they're obviously a different team now than they were all year - I'd say on paper, odd as it sounds, they're the favorites. But the Phillies are no rollovers. They have a that offense - they have 3 solid starters - Hamels is as good as anyone. Back in June when the Sox played Philly, it looked like that was the world series match up to bet on - the Phils went soft after that - but have come back lately. I can see it. That's certainly what I will be rooting for - Boston/Philly. I suspect it will come, too.

One final note - though I hate the Dodgers in general, this Dodger teams is loaded with players I like - all those ex-sox, Lowe and Nomah especially (even Manny), Greg Maddux (greatest pitcher ever?), etc... the other three - Tampa is just too great a story to feel too bad if they win; I mostly like this Phillies club (helps to have Cole Hamels on your fantasy team....) - and the Sox are the Sox. So I can enjoy things without much angst whoever wins - unless the Dodgers beat the Red Sox: I don't think I could stand that.

2 comments:

Ryland Walker Knight said...

I gotta say, for all the hurt Kirk Gibson gave me, I'd still rather see the Dodgers beat the Sawks. I'm also just too too too amused by the ridiculous rise of the Rays to not root for them, my anti-Sawks stance aside. Really, though, I'm with you for the most part: there's not much angst over who wins. Also, baseball was plain weird this season and I paid less attention this summer than any since the woeful (for the A's) mid-90s. It helps that the NBA has been meteoric the past two years...

weepingsam said...

Well, I could no more cheer against the Red Sox than refuse a slice of fresh apple pie, so there's that... though I'd probably be impressed by them anyway - they remind me of the late 90s Yankees, with their infinite resources and their homegrown talents, with everyone contributing, but no one quite acting the superstar (this is the pre-Clemens Yankees, of course.) Which is the one time in history I have been tempted not to loath the Yankees..... On the other hand - that's not a bad description of this bunch of Dodgers - yeah they have Manny, and a bunch of overpriced has-beens, but most of the real talent are young, homegrown players - Kemp and Ethier and Billngsley and Martin... And of course - it's Tampa, and it's the Phillies for the most part. Which makes it a satisfying bunch of teams to watch compete...