Friday, December 05, 2008

Friday Miscellany

Friday night - I'm fighting off a cold, feeling tired and icky... I hope to put up another sort-of-review post soon - real content! a novelty! Having done a certain amount of self-medicating with the good Dr. Macallan (not much better than scotch for this kind of low key, nagging cold), I'm not up for anyting too taxing to the brain or fingers: instead, let's try some links and maybe a Friday Random Ten.

Links? Start with Slacktivis - Fred Clark's weekly Left Behind posts have turned to the movie- a godawful wreck, that manages to improve on the books (though how could it not) - and to catch, every now and then, a moment of near competence - the end of this week's installment is, in fact, The Rapture itself - which is handled with quite surprising grace. We see Captain Rayford Steele about the kiss Mrs. Kirk Cameron - we cut to an old woman, waking up - she turns, doesn't see her husband - chats with Cameron "Buck" Williams, Ace Reporter, and tell him her husband has "gone off naked" - in sum, a quiet, creepy, disorienting little scene, nothing new, but pretty much how you slip into something like that.... The rest of the clip is more the kind of hackwork you expect... Anyway - always a good read...

Elsewhere - a new Girish post, rounding up good online reading.

And at Screengrab, Leonard Pierce promises a 12 Days of Christmas series of Christmas movie posts, starting with the excellent A Nightmare Before Christmas.

And The Bioscope offers a neat post about George Bernard Shaw and the movies.

Roger Ebert let's us know what he thinks of Expelled.

David Bordwell on Douglas Fairbanks.

And Tom the Dancing Bug explains a comic, in great detail.

And I run iTunes:

1. The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun
2. The Melvins - Lizzy
3. Sleater Kinney - Ironclad [not a big fan of this record - still got a great sound, did they, but sounds to me like they were running out of things to say. The last 2 records sort of continued the slow fade...]
4. Erase Errata - C. Rex
5. Keiji Haino/Tatsuya Yoshida - Gheuebhessip [just got this, haven't really listened to it, though a couple songs have come up on the iPod: it sounds like it's pretty good stuff - they're first rate performers, in their very strange way... this one has a flute in it!]
6. Leo Kottke - Embryonic Journey [I keep forgetting I have some Leo Kottke on the machine - I should try tolisten to this more...]
7. Fugazi - Facet Squared [I can't say I love Fugazi, but they are absolutely reliable - anything they do is worth listening to...]
8. The Magnetic Fields - In an Operetta [I haven't warmed to them, as I have to some of the bands they are compared to.... but they are pretty good.]
9. Neil Young - Old Man [well, obviously a great song.]
10. Tragically Hip - At the Hundredth Meridian [I like this song - I like this record,but it's the only Tragically Hip record I ever bothered to buy, not sure why.... get Ry Cooder to say my eulogy...]

And YouTube says: Richard Thompson - the live version of Shoot Out the Lights, from his Austin City Limits record a couple years ago came up on the iPod tonight - ah: I can't get it out of my head. (And really, the whole post is here because I wanted to post a video of it.) I couldn't find any video of it, but this is a decent substitute. There are a few good versions of the song on YouTube - this one has some of the jaggedy guitar playing he really expands on the Austin record...

4 comments:

Bob Turnbull said...

Richard Thompson is a brilliant guitarist...I saw him live a number of years ago and during one song he had a terrific 2-3 minute extended guitar solo and you could tell by the end he had lost himself in it - you could actually see him "wake up" towards the end and bring himself back to normal mode.

Do you have last year's "Richard & Linda Thompson In Concert November 1975"? It's a nice live document of pretty much a single show (I can't remember if a few songs may have been taken from a different date) with a few 10+ numbers and some lovely vocals by Linda.

As for the Tragically Hip, I think their first 4 albums (you have their third - not including a debut EP which is also good) are their best. The 4th, "Day For Night" being possibly my favourite as it has a bit more of dark feel to it with a bit of a swampy vibe mixed in (recorded in Louisiana if memory serves). I couldn't tell you a thing about their last 3 records, but those first 4 are beauties and pretty much Canadian rock radio classics.

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan of Kottke for a long time, saw him in a cafeteria here in Omaha many years ago, but am unfamiliar with that tantalyzing song title.

weepingsam said...

Bob - haven't found that one yet. I'll keep an eye out - though it looks like some of the material is on other records (Guitar, Vocal, or the extended version of Pour Down Like Silver) - none of it is on iTunes, which is a nuisance, especially if I already have half of it and want the other half, which I certainly do. That and it not being in print in the US...

Marc - that song is on one of the best of compilations... that's all the Kottke I have - it's lovely though; I need to get more.

weepingsam said...

I have to add one more thing - I found it! the live Richard and Linda Thompson record - Newbury Comis comes through again. I admit,this is probably less amazing than finally coming across a copy of The Pop Group's Y a couple weeks ago - for $14, too (vs the 30+ I'd seen it for on Amazon) - but it makes me very happy. You can never have too many recordings of Night Comes In... or Shame of Doing Wrong....