Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup 2010

Time, once more, for what is, really and truly, the most exciting sporting event on earth. Through the years I have been one of those Americans who gets addicted to soccer* every world cup, but ignores it in between - this year, though, I added the Fox Soccer Channel back in January, and have been watching the game religiously since. European club soccer mostly - but this means that, for once, I have seen most of the stars - Messi and Xavi and Wesley Snejder and Maicon and Franck Ribery and Drogba and Lampard and David James and Nicholas Bendtner and so on. I know who Jon Mikel Obi is! For once, all my soccer thoughts will not be strictly theoretical and second hand. Mostly theoretical and second hand, but not just....

I am happy to watch the tournament purely for pleasure, without caring who wins - or opportunistically cheering for whoever started to look like fun - that's how I used to do it. (And how I learned to love, if not spell, Hristo Stoichov)... But I suppose I have druthers, and even opinions this year. The latter are mostly conventional wisdom and prejudices - it seems beyond pointless to pretend to predict the cup's progress, but in general terms - it looks very likely to be completely wide open - upsets, surprises, underdogs, for all the usual reasons when the cup is held outside Europe, plus the fact that the traditional reliable teams seem weaker than usual (Germany, Italy), while the most talented (non-Brazil) teams have rather checkered tournament pasts, or insane coaches (Spain, Holland, Argentina.) I think - Brazil is Brazil; one of those talented chokers will come through big; African teams will almost all play over their heads - I'd guess Cameroon and Nigeria do best, given the draw and the injuries... Etc. Nothing profound there, but hey....

As for rooting? I'll cheer on the Americans as long as they are relevant. I think they have a pretty good chance of taking out England - they have a lot to play for, winning that game is a realistic goal and likely to be seen as such... though they are sure able to choke.... After that - I am very fortunate in being able to root for the local favorites. I can promise you, most of my part of town will feature a lot more yellow and green in the next few weeks than red white and blue - actually, it features more yellow and green the rest of the year than red white and blue. The travel agencies and street front churches are all Brazilian - I hear as much Portuguese as English at the supermarket. This is very handy come world cup time.... Otherwise? I admit to mostly cheering against France and England - then, for any African teams, plus the Dutch (who always at least make for pretty soccer) - and, I think, this year - hoping one of those underachievers (Spain or Argentina, plus Holland) breaks through. Mostly though - I just revel in the games....

*this is the USA, and calling soccer "football" just makes you look pretentious, not to mention confusing people.... when the English stop putting "u's" in words like "color" and "labor" then they can criticize. Though if anyone can get rid of that boring abomination Americans call football, they will have my enduring love.

1 comment:

Bob Turnbull said...

Anyone but Argentina...If Maradona wins the Cup as coach - well, it'll be a sad day. I have an aversion to the man. He cries, he cheats, he moans...One of the best players who ever lived, but I can't stand the guy. As a team I've always found Argentina to be one of the worst for diving and whining as well (though I didn't see that much of it in their first game). Messi looked great against Nigeria though - along with Mexico's Dos Santos, he's the most impressive player so far.

I'd love the Dutch or Spain win. I'm hoping for good showings by Denmark, the African teams and Australia as well.