Today should start by noting the passing of one of the great men of the 20th century, Nelson Mandela. Someone who's achievements might be underrated, when you think about it - he spent his life fighting Apartheid, was able, in the end, to end it, to take over the government of South Africa - and to do it without destroying his country. Came to power without war, held power without violence - how many other leaders could do that? He will be missed, though I suppose it is more true to say, his example will be treasured. RIP.
On a very different not - Wonders in the Dark's Western Countdown has reached the end, with the inevitable #1 movie, John Ford's The Searchers. It has been a pleasure to read, and an honor to participate.
And now? Let's go with a basic random 10, shall we?
1. Robert Johnson - Ramblin' on my Mind
2. The United States of America - The American Way of Love (a dollar ninety takes you to the movie...)
3. Young Marble Giants - N.I.T.A.
4. The Kinks - Til the End of the Day
5. of Montreal - I Was Never Young
6. The Replacements - Dope Smokin' Moron
7. Creation - Making Time
8. Fujiya & Miyagi - Ankle Injuries
9. Fleetwood Mac - Only You (live at the Boston Tea Party)
10. Tim Buckley - Monterey
Video - first - that was one hell of a random 10 - nothing there to skip at all... Then? Start with the obvious, I suppose - The Specials, "Free Nelson Mandela" - which is the song that comes into the head whenever anyone mentions him name...
And - on the subject, here's Bono trying to play with the big boys, from the Sun City record - this song was worth the price of the record, back in the day... those guitars: it's purified Keith Richards, and what's better than that?
And - from the list? I have to post the United States of America song, even if it's just the song:
And - end with the Replacements, live in 1981, sober!