Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday

Politics? don't have much to say. Did my bit for democracy - always a neat experience. The ordinariness of it makes me very happy... I suppose it's not always so simple and low tech (the paper voter rolls, the paper ballots and felt tip pens, the nice retirees running the affair), though it seems hard to beat the low tech version.... I haven't said much about politics - Massachusetts is not the most interesting place to have a vote most of the time - we're pretty predictable.... this year - it's an interesting primary race: I won't mourn either of the big dems winning, though I suppose, given a choice, I'd rather not see Hillary Clinton nominated. Since I did have a choice, I chose. If Edwards had still been around, it might have been a tougher choice - as it is, I took Obama.

I don't think I will do much more political writing this year. It's hard to talk politics: there's not much that can actually get done until Bush is out of office; every other issue pales next to the simple necessity of getting a Democratic president and as many democrats in congress as is humanly possible. The republican party does not deserve to hold any power at all: they have blown it, doing this country terrible damage... Someday, hopefully, we can get around to pushing for important useful things - some kind of decent health care system, more sensible tax and spend policies (instead of sending out rebates as a stimulus, why not try to create some jobs? fix a bridge, whatever...). Get the hell out of Iraq, and try to undo the damage that's caused... But first things first.

And - since god knows how much I'll post in the next day or so - non-politics: Burt Reynolds gets his due at Welcome to LA. And Edward Copeland's Best Best Actor poll is up - all sliced and diced...

No comments: