Friday, July 20, 2007

Return of Friday Music Post!

I'm in the middle of my summer doldrums - or distractions - or whatever it is that pulls me away from the internets, or blogging, or whatever it is... So posting has been sporadic and odd (not that that's any different from the rest of the year), and will probably stay that way. I guess. But at least, after a couple weeks of neglect, our weekend ritual mutual post is back! Hooray!

Now if I had any sense, I'd try to work some content into this - reviews of recent records bought (Sky Blue Sky! - okay, but more eagles than television; Icky Thump! - now that's the real thing, already a couple of them are stuck in my head; Boris - I've bought a bunch of their stuff recently, most recently Rainbow, the record they made with Kurihara - I am most impressed. Etc. - actually, not that much etc. I run in cycles, buying music, and this is kind of a down cycle - not way down, but almost all new stuff - a lot of which is sitting on the iPod, unplayed - Spoon? Gogol Bordello? Richard Thompson? one of his came up today - but the random plays are all I've done in a while... so reviews are out...) On to the list!

1. Fugazi - Walken's Syndrome
2. Spiritualized - Broken Heart
3. Robyn Hitchcock - Like a Rolling Stone
4. Pere Ubu - Humor Me *** - good lord. I think I explained that rating a month or so ago - I did: this AND a velvet underground song. This is the original version: the 5 star version is, I think, the live one, released in the box set.
5. Dinosaur Jr. - Water
6. Beastie Boys - in 3's - a bit of funky jamming... which reminds me of a musical post I might try someday: in praise of Urban Dance Squad. Persona Non Grata might still be the best mix of rap and rock there is. They do not get their proper due. They even managed to come up yesterday on the iPod instead of today, thus losing their chance for Friday Random Music Immortality! We must take steps.
7. The White Stripes - The Nurse
8. Rolling Stones - Doncha Bother Me
9. Brian Jonestown Massacre - Servo ****
10. Richard Thompson - Sunset Song - fromt he new record

Video? well, why not - the pride of the Netherlands, UDS, with their big USA hit...



And the single from Persona Non Grata, Demagogue....

No comments: